Thursday, April 4, 2013

What's on the menu for today?

Here's a look into what kind of foods I'm eating for my challenge.

I mentioned earlier that I will be challenging myself to  30 days of eating 100% clean with 1 cheat meal/week.

Breakfast:
 Overnight Oats in an empty Peanut Butter Jar, YES!
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 4 diced strawberries
  • 1 TBS Goji berries
  • Dash of Cinnamon
  • Top with hemp seeds (benefits are in previous post)
  • Plus the yummy leftover peanut butter! :)
Snack:
Apple + Almonds

LUNCH:
Baked chicken, roasted asparagus, sauteed onions/peppers, & roasted sweet potato

Last night I prepped food for the rest of the week. Here is how I made everything.

CHICKEN:
  • I cut my chicken breasts in half because they were too large for my portion sizes.
  • I rubbed 3 chicken breasts with Mrs. Dash No Salt Added Garlic & Herb seasoning
  • I rubbed the other chicken breasts with Mrs. Dash No Salt Added Extra Spicy Seasoning
  • I cooked them up for 5-8 minutes on the George Foreman grill - yum!

Asparagus:
  • Clean & chop the ends off of asparagus
  • Spray with EVOO spray or Coconut Oil spray (Don't overdo it, they will get soggy)
  • Add fresh ground sea salt & black pepper
  • Toss asparagus together to evenly coat
  • Sprinkle slivered almonds on top
  • Cook for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees until desired crunch is achieved!

Sweet Potatoes:
  • Clean & wrap sweet potatoes in foil and place on baking sheet.
  • Bake at 400 degrees until you can poke fork through them easily.
  • For my oven, this was about 1 hour.
  • I also baked a few Yukon Gold potatoes as well for the boy!

Sauteed Veggies:
  • Heat a small amount of EVOO and lightly brown about 4 cloves minced garlic
  • Add finely chopped onions (I use the food processor)
  • I then added washed and diced orange and red peppers
  • Add fresh ground black pepper & fresh squeezed lemon juice

Throw all the above items together into tupperware containers & let cool before freezing for the week.
When you are ready to eat your meals, microwave for 60 - 90 seconds! YUM!


DINNER:
I will be making stuffed chocolate french toast & french toast eggs!
YUP- breakfast for dinner! I have a pic from the last time I made it. YUMMM!



Ingredients:
  • 100% Whole Wheat Bread or Ezekial Bread (Less ingredients in your bread, the better)
  • 2 Eggs or 4 Egg Whites
  • 1 TBS Almond or skim milk
  • 2 TBS Chocolate PB2 or 1 TBS natural peanut butter
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2-3 drops liquid Stevia
Directions:
Whisk 4 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs) with 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2-3 drops liquid stevia, and 1 TBS almond milk together. Dip your bread in and cook as french toast on nonstick pan - you may need to spray with EVOO or cooking spray. Cook 2-3 minutes per side on medium-high heat or until desired golden color is reached. Slice half of the banana on top of 1 piece of toast, drizzle the chocolate PB2, then layer with the other piece of bread, more banana slices, and more chocolate PB2. Now cook your leftover eggs like scrambled eggs for a french toast egg scramble! If you want more eggs, just add a little bit more than what I stated. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

**Note: PB2 is powdered peanut butter. You can find it at Whole Foods. You add 2 TBS powdered peanut butter with 1 TBS water. Chocolate PB2 has cocoa added to it. There is 85% less fat calories than traditional peanut butter.
2 TBS Chocolate PB2 has:
45 Calories
10 Calories from Fat
1g Fat
0g Saturated Fat
70 mg Sodium
6g Carbs
1g Fiber
3g Sugar
4g Protein
It's pretty awesome, considering Jif's Regular Peanut Butter looks like this:


READ LABELS & COMPARE. It is not just about calories, you need to take into consideration fat/fat calories as well as ingredients!

My dinner last night consisted of 2 veggie wraps I bought from Harris Teeter.
They were delicious and made with tapioca paper instead of adding all the calories with the rice, which is fine in moderation. However, I tend to eat wayyyy more than I should with sushi, which can end up being much higher in calories than you would think with all the extra sauces and rice, etc.. The veggies in this wrap were cucumbers, carrots, cabbage, avocado, and lettuce. I'm definitely going to look into making these myself, they were so good and HEALTHY!


I'm off to make up a bootcamp workout for class today, HAPPY THURSDAY!!!
Xo, April


No comments:

Post a Comment